From: Paul Gordon [mailto:paul_gordon@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 12 June 2001 15:26
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] CAT5 stuff sourcing?

(Trying to make up for lowering the tone earlier!)

When (if?) my loft conversion comes about, I intend to move at least part
o=

my fledgling node 0 up there. (Some stuff will have to stay in the cellar
-=
=20
unless Keith can come up with a USB version of the KAT5...)

When I move "stuff" into the loft, I will put in some
"proper" structured=20
cabling. (While all that construction is going on will be a good time to=20
pull some cables as well).

I'm looking around for CAT5 patch panels and outlets, and was just
wonderin=

where's the best (cheapest?) place to buy.

So far, Mike's 24-port panel on Lets Automate looks the best value I
have=20
found, at =A355 (=A32.29 per port), but the Clipsal stuff looks too pricey
=
to=20
use for the majority of the outlets (=A318.22 for a double!). - I may use
s=
ome

Clipsals in visible locations, but most outlets won't be particularly=20
visible, so some "bog standard" modular faceplates are going to
be OK. So=20
far, I have found the following:

Screwfix - =A38.09 for a double
RS WWW   - =A38.95 for a double (but does not appear to be modular)
RS WWW   - =A314.68 for a double (definately is modular)

To be honest, "most" locations will be pretty discreet, and most
will not=20
require more than 2 outlets (I know, I know - don't say it!!). And I'm=20
really not fussed from an aesthetic point of view whether I use modular=20
faceplates or not.

With that in mind, where's the cheapest source of double CAT5
faceplates?=20
and patchpanels for that matter.

Cheers.

Paul G.