Re: LD10 and "buzzing" fuse at the consumer unit

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: LD10 and "buzzing" fuse at the consumer unit
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:31:54 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., Keith Doxey <ukha@d...> wrote:
> Rewireable  :-)
>
> As opposed to Cartridge Type.

Cheers. I knew cartridge came into consumer units somehow and that
mine weren't, rewirable ought to have been obvious really. Doh. :)

> If your plumber simply replaced one with an MCB it could be a Wylex
consumer
> unit.

*runs downstairs to check* It is indeed a Wylex Consumer Unit :)

> I believe B&Q stock bits for them.

Thanks. I need to check if they sell alarm pull cords anyway so will
try and pickup the parts while I am there :)

> Also, if you have very high wattage lamps but always run them quite
dim, try
> lower wattage bulbs run at a higher level. That would change the
firing
> point of the triac and lessen the surge. eg 200W @ 40% ~ 100W @ 80%.

I think 100W is the highest I currently use with the majority at 60W
but I will check the wattage of all lights which are generally dimmed
and try and downgrade them accordingly.

> Loft insulation - squash it as much as possible. At one exhibition
I go to
> they have "Sound Bunkers" where high power sound systems are
demonstrated.
> Pumping bass at around 120dB inside, outside it sounds like someone
tapping
> there fingers on the desk - barely audible. The walls appear to be
two
> sheets of perforated metal with fibreglass insulation highly
compressed in
> between. The walls are only 2" thick :-)

Good to hear. Sounds perfect for what I want since I am sure my
airing cupboard will fill up very quickly so don't want to lose too
much space to the sound proofing.

May also try this on the bolier which can be very noisy even though
it is in the attic. Need to check out the venting requirements first
though I guess, although it is designed to be housed within a kitchen
unit so hopefully is adequately vented at the rear.

Mark.