RE: Re: Anyone seen the X10 Mains Sockets on LetsAutomate?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Anyone seen the X10 Mains Sockets on LetsAutomate?
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 14:25:04 +0100

This email was delivered to you by The Free Internet,
a Business Online Group company. http://www.thefreeinternet.net
wrote:
> > I wonder how many of these are going to be destroyed by
insulation
> > resistance testing :)
> >
> > I can just see someone having an extension built and the spark
> testing the
> > electrics - Doh!
>
> Sorry for being dumb but what is this test you refer to and why would
> it damage the WS10? Would other X10 products be subject to similar
> risks?

Basically it's a test whereby 500V DC is applied between phase and neutral
and also phase and CPC (earth) to ensure that there is a minimum insulation
resistance of 0.5M ohms to comply with BS7671.  Ideally a value of not less
than 2M ohms should be recorded otherwise there is the possiblility of a
latent defect [IEE On Site Guide p69]

Mention is made to first disconnect pilot or indicator lamps and capacitor
to avoid misleading test values, and voltage-sensitive electronic devices
such as dimmer switches, touch switches, delay timers, power controllers
(X10 appliance) etc. are temporarily disconnected OR the test performed
between live conductors (phase and neutral connected together) and
protective earth only.

My turn to spill my knowledge (or read it from the book!)

James