Re: Power supply questions

----- Original Message -----
From: Mick Furlong <dorsai@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 10:06 PM
Subject: [ukha_d] Power supply questions

> Guys
>
> I have a really ancient compaq luggable (I think it was a 286!) power
supply
> that I am thinking of using as a test bench supply,,,the thing has a
weird
> rectangular 6 pin plug with a metal shield. The label on the supply
states
> .....automatic line switching ...input120/240v 60/50hz 1A....max
output
> 18.3V 1.8A.
>
> If I measure the Voltage acoss any of the output pins I get around 6
volts
> over some...1 volt on others about 5 volt on others....measuring
against
the
> screen I get damn all useful results.
> I am confused how do I figure out what the voltages are? What I would
really
> like is the 18v it states on the supply which I can then regulate to
> wahtever voltage I need.
>
> Any thoughts guys?

Emm  switch mode power supply.
someone told me you have t  put a small load on them t  get any kind of
measurable voltage out of them

> btw you may have realised my electronics skills are not t  hot ;)

me neither :O)  so i may be talking utter B*llocks

Robert Crawshaw                 http://www.golcar.demon.co.uk

The release of Windows 2000 has been put back t  the first quarter of 1901

we work for a company that has global reach yet can't scratch it's own arse