RE: OT Computer Processors

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT Computer Processors
  • From: "Matt Kummell" <kummell@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:57:12 +0100

Dan -

Guys, it's been ages since I've tackled this one - correct me if I'm
wrong...

T  go P2 -> P3, you'll need a new motherboard and new RAM.  The P2 used
a Slot 1 chip connection while the P3 uses a Socket 370 - t tally diff't
chip/motherboard interfaces.

As for your SDRAM, the P2 memory bus was 66 Mhz, so that RAM won't work
with a P3 Motherboard (which is 100Mhz or 133 Mhz).  The 100 vs 133 Mhz
memory issues is how fast the memory is rated t  go t ...  you can
always stretch it, but it's safer t  go with RAM that's certified t  go
t  a certain bus speed.

Other pieces of your computer should move across - I'm assuming you've
got AGP video and IDE hard drive(s)/CD-ROM(s).  Of course if you're
dealing with a Gateway/Dell/Compaq/HP pre-packaged machine, you might
need a new ATX-type case t  go with your new mainboard...

I was just in Singapore and bought a shedload of parts for my machines
at home - if you're looking t  upgrade, you might want t  look at the
AMD chips.  My newly upgraded machine is smokin' fast compared t  what I
would have gotten for the same money on the Intel platform (or if I'd
bought the parts in the UK!).

If this type of off-topic conversation bugs anyone on the list, let me
know and we can take the conversation offline if you have more
questions.

Matt