RE: Re: OT: In Car MP3

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: OT: In Car MP3
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:46:43 +0100

I used to have a silly system too in my old 200SX ... amps capable of
putting out around 2kW in total. It was all about headroom (or at least it
was for me) as I wasn't int  SPL (going loud for louds sake) ... I used to
get a good 134db on Pink Floyds "Pulse" and it was clean ... very
clean. No
noticeable compression and notes used to start and stop as they should.
Basically cars are horrible environments for getting good sound out of and
most of the work is combatting the deadening of the huge amounts of padding
and the reflections from the glass - having large amounts of power at your
disposal does make this far easier as you can afford to lose some.

My amps rarely used to produce more than 10% of their rated outputs in use
but without that headroom available it jst sounded flat and lifeless...

Phil

HU),
> > 6CD Changer (never use any more), DAB radio receiver and empeg
(master
> > HU t  take advantage of fantastic EQ in the whole system).
> > Amplification is serious (1KW+), driving 8 spkrs, inc 2* 12"
subs
> > running free air and finally an AudioControl 4XS active
crossover.  The