Re: OT: DVD PLAYERS

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT: DVD PLAYERS
  • From: "Doogie Brodie" <doogiebrodie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 16:11:59 -0000

Hi Eamon,

> Thanks Phil, I'll have a look at the modulator as suggested, but=20
why would
> this affect only one disc and not the other.. The first one I=20
watched was
> perfect, its only the second I had a problem with ?

Some discs have macrovision protection, and some don't - thats the=20
most likely explanation.

>  I would agree with your points about the dealer, but to be honest,=20
while
> not knowing much about tv/audio myself, once I talk to most dealers=20
near
> where I live, and try to explain my set up, they give you a blank=20
stare,
> stutter for a second and then feed you some waffle which you know is

Remember Phil has been known to come up here to Glasgow to see a good=20
dealer ;-> Don't put up with rubbish service.

> absoulte s*=A3t. I think my problem now, is I only have the option
of=20
rf
> distribution as this is the wya I have wired the house. We only=20
moved in
> last week, so if I go to start running extra cabling, swmbo will be=20
most
> unhappy.

Eek! You really don't want to be using RF for DVD transmission.....=20
Do you definetley want DVD in all rooms? Obviously a quick solution=20
would be locating the DVD player in your main viewing room, connected=20
by RGB SCART/ SVideo/ whatever you want. This gives you the problem=20
of lack of distribution. I take it your DVD player is a region 2 only=20
model? Most chips to make players multi-region also remove=20
macrovision, which is another option if you want to import discs=20
anyway. Unsure about the cost difference between getting your player=20
chipped to remove macro, and a seperate UHF Modulator - check out=20
LinkOnline (www.linkonline.co.uk) for chipping prices - I haven't=20
used them for chipping an already owned virgin player, but I bought=20
my 300 disc Sony from them pre-chipped.

The other option for video distribution (aside from Kat5 obviously!)=20
is with 2.4GHz video senders, which are discounted at Homebase at the=20
moment. Depending on how many receivers your looking at, this could=20
be quite pricey (50 quid per TV.......)

Hope some of that helps a bit.

Doogie