RE: OT: DVD PLAYERS

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: DVD PLAYERS
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 17:11:13 +0100

Hi Eamon

Obviously I will recommend KAT5 :-))

But there is another way if you are happy with an RF signal.

Find an old ANALOGUE satellite receiver t  use as the modulator instead of
your VCR. Plug it into either a decoder or VCR SCART on the SatReceiver and
away you go. DVD in all rooms. If you later decide you want the best
possible quality then you can always go for KAT5.

Keith

Kustom
> keypads also behave as an IR repeater system, so in effect I can
> operate any
> of these devices from anywhere in the house, and watch tv, video and
dvd's
> anywhere, with audio piped through ceiling mounted speakers in
> any room. My
> kustom has 6 sources and six zones, and everything works like a
> dream...almost.
>
>   When building the house with all of the above in mind, I reckoned I
had
> pretty much everyhing covered as far as audio and tv were
> concerned. What I
> did not realise is that DVD players do not come with a rf coax output,
> making it very difficult to centrally locate the dvd, and to
distribute it
> around the house (now I think I understand what all the excitement
about
> KAT5 is about.....). The dvd retailer said that I could feed the dvd
scart
> into my video player, and then watch the dvd via the video
> channel anywhere
> in the house. This sounded good enough to me (I know the quality of
the
> picture is not supposed to be as good, but I cant honestly tell the
> difference).
>
>    Anyway , to get t  the point, it seems that some DVD discs have a
> copywrite protection which will not allow them to be played
> through a video
> recorder as this would allow you to copy the DVD.... Last night I
> hired out
> my first two DVD's (Lost souls and Meet the parents). The first
> one worked a
> dream, but the second DVD kept changing the contrast/brightness of the
> screen every couple of seconds. Watchable, but very annoying.. Now
here's
> the question.... Does anyone know of a fix for this ? Is there some
way of
> "fooling" the dvd player into thinking the scart is
connected