RE: iPaq

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: iPaq
  • From: "Doogie Brodie" <doogiebrodie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:04:26 +0100

> 1: Please keep your comments about my parentage to yourselves ;-)

Ok....... I'll still think them secretly :-) (and yes, they are in the same
vein as Phil's!)

> 2: What's the best way t  turn it int  a "Pront
substitute"???

It's not currently possible t  directly transmit IR (as in for HC
components, IRDA between paqs, or t  printers is fine) from the iPAQ, I've
heard people are working on it, but don't think it's going to happen
anytime
soon.

What I've heard from others (and I don't do myself as I don't have an HV)
is
along the lines of:-

(1)
Get a PC Card dress for your iPAQ (I know they're called jackets :-) -
possibly the dual one, which is 170 quid
Get a wireless lan pc card for your iPAQ
Connect this to your home network, either by a wireless lan in the back of
server PC or a proper wireless access point connected t  your network
Now your iPAQ can connect to your home network

(2)
Buy/ already own HomeVision - if you win one of these all the better :-)
Run AFAICR ACE, the web server for HomeVision

Have your iPAQ connect to your local webserver over wlan, press buttons
which then send the signal back t  the web server, back t  the HomeVision,
which the HV then changes int  IR and goes to your HC component........!

I think that's everything........ As I've said, I don't do this as I don't
have a HV, and can't currently justify buying one (queue enslaught of
"you
really should buy an HV" type posts ;->) and I don't have a dress
for my
paq, so don't run wireless lan etc. although it is on the shopping list. At
least I'd be able t  use connection sharing to have live internet access
from the loo!

<WISH_LIST>

What I really want is a nice phone with bluetooth, with a footprint similar
to the motorola v50 and a clamshell design/ very low SAR rating as I get
_BAD_ headaches from phones with high SAR ratings, which pretty much
discounts the new Ericsson T39, as the T28 which the design is based on has
1.4 SAR.....!!!! (my current v3690 has a SAR of 0.02!)

Then I'll be able t  buy a dual slot PC card thingmy for my iPAQ, a
bluetooth card for it, and I'll have wireless internet access wherever I
go.

I've spoken to Motorola and they've said although the v66 will have GPRS,
it
wont have bluetooth..... maybe Samsung will come out with a one which does
the trick.

</WISH_LIST>

HTH

Doogie