Re: Pront or Marantz again

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Pront or Marantz again
  • From: brent@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 05:36:35 -0000

You can use almost all of the CCF files for a Pront  on a Marantz.
The exception being if they use Custom Beeps or Timers, it will not
work on the Marantz. The Marantz does not have these features, but
has substituted some more useful ones in their place. If you wanted
t  use a CCF for the Pront  that uses these features, but have a
Marantz, you could simply edit those parts out of the CCF file t  use
it on the Marantz. Pront Edit, Marantz Setup, and RAVEdit (Yamaha
version) are all available at www.remotecentral.com. You might have
t  load it in Pront Edit, and fix it first before you could load it
in Marantz Setup. Other than that, they are compatible with the
Marantz.

The Marantz 2Meg (worldwide) units (5000i) and the European Pront
2Meg units (RU940) have more user memory than the US 2Meg Pront s
(TSU2000). The clue here is the 'U' in TSU2000. They use up some of
their programable user memory with a universal code database built in
that controls most IR equipment (in US), so some of that 2meg is used
up. I'd rather have nothing built in to take up memory, and just
learn my own remotes (or download files for them) and save the memory
for other fancy stuff.

I suggest you read the Unofficial FAQ at www.remotecentral.com
pay specific attention to these sections:

A2-04 Hardware Differences
B1-05 Software Differences

Don't worry too much about the price differences either. The Marantz
units include the recharging cradle, which you have t  buy as an
extra for the Pront s. The street prices are very similar. Check Ebay
often. I just got a new Marantz RC5000i with cradle for $275US.

here is a link t  the FAQ page (downloadable PDF versions are als  on
the site in the files section)

http://www.remotecentral.com/pront
/pfaq.htm

http://www.remotecentral.com/files/udocs.htm

hope this helps

Brent

--- In ukha_d@y..., Dave McLaughlin <dave@d...> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I got a lot of good replies from my last post.
>
>  From it I gather most of you use the Pront . Does anyone use the
Marantz