RE: Fw: [ACE] ACE-ePod READY!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Fw: [ACE] ACE-ePod READY!
  • From: "Dan Hoehnen" <dhoehnen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:52:24 -0500

Ian,

First, go to ace.honesoftware.com and you can read about it.

ACE was initially designed to add remote control and monitoring to almost
any HA system.  ACE is comprised of various software modules (programs)
that
each perform a function.  They talk to each other over a tcp/ip network.
ACE is the heart of the Comfort Web InterfACE.

The one thing that ACE is not, is a scheduling type HA program.  ACE can
not
typically be used by itself because it does not do schedules (at 6am turn
on
outside lights, for example).  But, ACE can be configured to perform
actions
based on events that occur on another HA controller (Comfort, HomeVision,
ECS, Omni, Stargate, etc.).  So, ACE is intended to be used to add features
to your existing HA system.  For example, I use ACE to announce Comfort
events by playing wav files and/or by speaking using text to speech.  I can
also have ACE send me an email when certain events occur, like arming or
disarming the security system.  These are just 2 examples, there are
literally hundreds more.

The ACE Client displays pages of 30 buttons each.  Each button on each page
can do a different function.  The buttons are big enough that you can
easily
press them with a finger if using a touchscreen.  But, a touchscreen is not
required as a mouse works equally well.

I think the best thing is to read the web page about all the features and
then ask some more specific questions if you have them.  There is also an
ACE mailing list if you are interested.

A few people on this list use ACE, so you can get some info from other
people than myself right here.

Dan