RE: Inductive Load Dimming

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Inductive Load Dimming
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:56:23 -0000

> > >As mentioned above I avoided the switched mode ps for
lighting,
> > > main question is do the din rail modules (LD10/11) handle
> > >inductive loads?  I have three transformers on lights
100/200/300VA
> > > Torodial type.
> >
> > Torodial transformers do not like dimming using TRIAC's
> > see reply below
> >
> > "No, the normal torroidal transformers should not be used
for
> > dimming with standard dimmers. The reason is that most dimmers
> > chop up the normal waveform using a triac or diac and they do
> > not provide symmetrical outputs on the +ve and -ve half cycles,
> > this saturates the transformer core. This could result in either
> > the destruction of the transformer or a fuse.
> >
> > You need to check with the manufacturer to see if the output
> > is symmetrical, most using microcrontrolers _should_ be ok,
> > if the code is correct.
>

> Hi all,
>
> Ok now I am confused (Easily done :) ...
>
> At the moment I am using an appliance module to control my
> Low Voltage lighting.
>
> I would like to be able to dim this and looking at changing the
> AppModule for a LD10(11).
>
> My question is ; what transformer should I be using ?

As a guide, just make sure the transformer says its dimable, many
electronic
are dimable (all the ones in my house are electronic and dimable) the
comment I made above is relating to the type of dimmer you have, x10 ones
_might_ work ok some rotory ones _might_ be ok but there is a potential
problem which can be worked around buy using the correct transformer.

Bottom line... give it a try, see if the the transformer gets hot when you
are dimming... if it does switch it off...quick ;-)

John