Re: Choice of OS for Home Automation

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Choice of OS for Home Automation
  • From: Andy Harvey <andyharvey99@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 12:38:45 +0000 (GMT)

--- Giles Paterson <gpaterson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am a bit of a Linux freak so would prefer to do
> things that way if
> possible. It just strikes that me using an old PC
> running Linux would be
> more cost effective than a high power machine
> running NT or 2000. There also
> seems to be a fair amount of open source software
> for interfacing to X10
> devices (a quick search on freshmeat.net revealed 20
> or so).
>
> Does anyone on this list have experience of using
> Linux in a home automation
> environment?

Yes, I run my home brewed home automation system on a
486 with 20M RAM running RedHat 6.2.

It provides a TV output, has modem with caller
display, input from a radio remote control, X10 via a
CMU12, is connected to my burglar alarm, and can be
controlled by email or SMS messages.

I am thinking about upgrading to a Pentium because I
want to use it for playing MP3s but the 486 can't
quite cope.

I started out using heyu originally but now have my
own daemons and a load of bash scripts.

=====
--
Andy Harvey