RE: web server on line

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: web server on line
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <des@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 14:03:05 -0000

> > NAT is a good basic solution for security. But any ports that
forward to
> > internal machines mean you still have to worry about protection
> beyong the
> > router. Of course NAT does nothing to prevent a trojan from
> > getting out thru
> > your router, so NAT alone isn't enough.
> >
> I have tested my current set-up, and the various test sites record the
> current set-up as "full stealth" but by web hosting I will
have to allow
> traffic though on a specific port. Is there anything that I need to do
> protect my self ?

I am afraid when you get that far, its down to the secuity of your OS/http
server :/ I don't think there are any easy solutions except deciding what
OS
etc you want to use and then researching ways to maximize your secuity for
that particular OS/http server, I recommended NT4 and IIS, because most of
the security holes have been found, and there is a wealth of information
about configuring this setup for security/patching.

I use linux myself for servers, so I can't help you any further.

DesG

PS, Rule Number 1, to create a secure system, do not connect it to the
Internet.