RE: Re: Telephonw to CAT5 Patching

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Telephonw to CAT5 Patching
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 11:37:07 +0100

Hi Geraint

As I said, nothing wrong with that, in fact for a domestic environment its
probably better. Thats why some systems actually use Phone Jacks for the
Phone Sockets.

> In theory I can always "steal" one of the ports if I need
say an
> extra voice and the port is always used.
> I just put in so much cable, I can't see this happening. Most rooms
> have 2 or 3 4-way wallplates, and my office has 5.

Can we remind you of "I just put in so much cable, I can't see this
happening." when you cry for help some time in the future :-)

You probably HAVE got enought but there are several people on the list who
put in "Way Too Much" to start with and have since run more !!!!

> I wanted to make it as simple as possible, if I ever came to sell the
> house to someone who does not know IT or HA, that way it's easier to
> document.

Fair point, but I believe that fairly soon structured wiring will become
the
norm rather than the exception. Probably not to the extent that most of us
are doing it but it will become commonplace. When I started with BT 25
years
ago builders never even considered putting a phone point in the house, neve
mind one in every room. Now it is accepted as standard. Hopefully
acceptance
of data cabling will not take as long. People are more technology aware now
and the technology is more affordable.

Keith