The London Meet - Who was there, what happened.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: The London Meet - Who was there, what happened.
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:24:04 +0100

The date: 22nd August, 2001

The place: Southwark/London Bridge (Pub then Restaurant)

Who was there:

Kieran Broadfoot
Nick Broughton
Mick Furlong
Paul Gordon
Mark Harrison
Graham Howe
Patrick Lidstone
Richard Lockyer
John Weir
Stuart Whyte

The highlights:

- Good to see some new faces at a meet. Special welcome, therefore, to
Richard Lockyer and John Weir. Both _have_ posted to the group, but only
a single-digit-number of messages each! John is in the middle of a
self-build, and we stressed the need for more CAT5.

- I can't believe that Mick Furlong has never been at a meet before, but
it was certainly the first time I'd met him. Good to put another face to
another name.

- OK, in retrospect, it has to be admitted that some bloke turning up to
a pub with three big cardboard boxes full of what appear to be car
stereos, and then handing them out to a bunch of mates could be regarded
as dodgy ;-) But seriously, thanks to Graham for all he did getting
those DDARs into the country!

- Paul Gordon also brought a few packs of sale goods - specifically
ex-Homebase kits that he'd been able to track down, and then sold to
Keiran Broadfoot and me for the knock-down price.

- Patrick Lidstone has a "webserver on a stick" (well, OK, on a
very
small circuitboard) that plugs into a standard 10BaseT network, and then
interfaces to Comfort. Patrick will, I hope, be posting details here
shortly, or even making one available to a Comfort user to review for
Mark McCall's site????

- Stuart Whyte took photos ;-)

- Personally, I felt that the format of meeting at a pub for a few
drinks, and then going on to eat somewhere worked very well. Let's see
how the Scottish meet feels it works next weekend? But it's certainly my
proposal for how we structure these things in future.

- The use of the small Fillipino boy (hired at illegal immigrant rates)
who could be employed to carry out routine tasks is proving a remarkably
robust benchmark in assesing the true payback period of any HA kit.

Regards,

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher