RE: Newbie Again

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Newbie Again
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 23:18:16 +0100

No ... you are correct.

If you're doing a whole house IR return system back to "node 0"
(I hate that
term - makes us all sound like geeks!) then the 7243AH can be done without.
The reasoning behind my saying that the 7243 is worth keeping is that until
the latest release of the HomeVision EPROM (and I may well be wrong here so
someone please correct me if my information is in error) HomeVision
couldn't
*RECEIVE* any commands other than those already programmed into it in the
IR
codes database. Now, my understanding with the latest release of the EPROM
and the latest software is that HomeVision can receive (and hence act on)
any codes that it has been taught too.

Now, HV has a 256 learned IR command limit that CSI don't think is a
problem
but I have had to quite carefully go through my Pronto CCF to decide wat I
want to teach HV and what I can leave out (for example, HV doesn't need to
know how to decrement the left skew in my CRT projectors setup menu). Now,
if you're starting to use the HV itself to receive the IR X10 commands and
pass them out onto the powerline then you have 16 of your 256 used for
house
codes, 16 more used for unit codes plus 2 (All units off and All lights on)
and the ON/OFF/DIM/BRIGHT commands which means you've used 40 out of your
possible 256 commands - to mee this is just too many codes used from the
256
when I'm damn short of codes to begin with (my CRT projector remote is a
mother!).

I'd still stick an IR7243AH in node zero to pick up the IR from the
distributed IR system and convert that back into X10 commands rather than
using HV - £70 to save 40 learned IR command slots is well worth it in my
opinion.

Of course you could assign 40 of the pre-learned commands to the different
X10 commands but then that gets very messy!

Just as an aside, I have recently been playing with a Maxi Controller that
Li at Laser sent me down (www.laser.com) to have a play with and I must say
that I love it! When setting up my house with X10 I allocated a house code
to each room and so with one of the maxi controllers I can have *DIRECT*
control of any of the possible 16 X10 units in any one room (I dislike the
1-4 unit codes of the mini controllers with a switch to select 5-8). One of
those with a built in All Housecodes IR receiver would be superb!

Phil

LD11
> > firmware they have preset dim and soft start which is
> wonderfull! If you did
> > want to dim halogens then just do a little more research before
choosing
> > your mains transformers or go for mains halogens ... as I said,
> I have had
> > dimmable electronic transformers running off LD10's and they're
fine.

> > Jeez! Nothing like putting the wind up the guy...
> >
> > The IR7243AH allows you to send X10 commands from the Pronto
> which can be
> > picked up by modules round the house and my HomeVision ... I
> would strongly
> > suggest that you still do want this piece of kit!
> >
> > The appliance wall switches are dog ugly as are the LW10Us -
> try the Clipsal
> > switch plates with momentary switches operating LD10s and then
> you can do
> > your two way switching easily.
> >
> > Phil

switches.

> >> Also as I am going for HomeVision I don't need the IR7243AH.
Correct ?

> >> Do I need the XM10U ?
> >>
> >> And then add 2* the number of cat5 lines/ports.
> >>
> >> and finally some IR repeaters when Ian has finished them :-)
> >>
> >> and probably not bother with the WS10's either.
> >>
> >> thanks so far
> >>
> >> alex

They
Mains