Manual control of LD10/11 was RE: Conventions...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Manual control of LD10/11 was RE: Conventions...
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel.giddings@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 14:17:46 +0100

Phil,

I would concur with Keith on the LD10/11 direct connection. I have just
installed 4 LD10/11's in my front room. This is a trial for a much larger
installation in a new house I hope to start building this year. I have 4
push to make switches, 1 for each cct. and don't find them user friendly at
all. So much so that I run a short script overnight to cycle them to full
brightness so that they do not return to the last remembered Dim setting in
the morning if someone uses the 'Manual' switch on method.

I now control the  Front Room lights via my Pronto and IR receiver and run
things like a 'Goodnight' script which turns off all the A/V equipment and
dims the lights 60 seconds later followed by off 60 seconds after that

The idea of having buttons that represent scenes appears to be the way to
go. Especially as this would allow you to adjust lights in other rooms or
external lighting in conjunction with a scene. I am lucky to have a lot of
trees around my plot and hope to create a few effects with lights so that
when we sit down to dinner you are drawn to the view, even at night. In
your
case one or more scenes could include the curtains being closed. . .

If you re feeling very confident why not have the switches operate
different
things depending on Sunset, Sunrise, and other variables.

The fact that the software, Homeseer in my case, loses track of the status
when using the 'Manual Method' is also a big drawback.

This does leave the issue of 'Manual Override' in case of Computer failure.
This could be achieved by a number of switches located somewhere else, Node
Zero ?

I have not tried it but it could be possible to common all the LD10/11
Manual connections to a single switch ? This would at least allow you to
turn all of them on and off manually on the rare occasion the PC is down.

HTH

Nigel