RE: Re: [OT] New Satellite Service

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [OT] New Satellite Service
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 16:12:49 +0100

Cable is generally cheaper, but the bandwidth will be shared among all houses on your spur. If you are the only person in your street it will be blisteringly fast, but if you live in a street of nerds (like us) donwloading large files all day long then it could start getting *really* slow. Connection tends to be via ethernet so it is easy to incoporate it in sany existing network. The only way to really find out how it will perform for you is to find someone in your street who has it, and try downloading a large file at peak time to see what bandwidth they can achieve.

ADSL has a contention ratio so the bandwidth you pay for can be shared by either 50,20 or 6 users depending on which flavour you go for. Having said that, I've had ADSL since December and I've never had less than 400k available, so either I'm the only person connected at my exchange, or I don't understand how the contention ratio works, perhaps Keith can ask a colleague at Martlesham why this is? The domestic version id designed to connect via USB, but with any version of Windows after Win 98 SE *or* Linux the modem can be shared through software.

Tim.