Re: [OT] New Satellite Service

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT] New Satellite Service
  • From: geraint@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 14:57:56 -0000

both cable modem and adsl are excellent in terms of speed.

I think the cable modem may be the better choice if you have both
options.
I know Brian has this config, so he may be able to tell you his
thoughts\findings etc.

As for computers being left switched on. Simple answer is YES.

They are designed to be left switched on these days, especially with
the power saving features. I know the same applies for hi-fi etc as
well, and the best example I was ever shown was "when does a
lightbulb ever blow" - answer only when being switched on. I leave
ALL my pc's and servers switched on 24/7 and have never yet suffered
from a faulty power supply.
The only down point is that the electricity bill does increase
slightly, especially when using server which have quite big current
draw on the power supplies.

P.S. - The patch panel was sent out to you today :)

Regards

Geraint

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Vijay Vithani" <vijay.vithani@d...>
wrote:
> Can someone tell me the pros and cons of cablemodem and ADSL.
>
> I *think* I can get either in my area.
>
> If so I am not sure which one I should go for!?
>
> I guess they should be routed to node0?
>
> Also, does anyone know whether it is better to leave a computer on
24/7 or
> is it better to shut down frequently...., regularly....,
occasionally?

http://www.emmettgroup.net/eng/satellite/products/twoway.htm
>     >     >
>     >     > We are looking to work with resellers across Europe
and
also
>     the Americas.
>     >     Contact us a.s.a.p. for in-depth details.
>     >     >
>     >     > Key points:
>     >     > 1) It's reliable!
>     >     > 2) It doesn't require a 56k modem for uplink
>     >     > 3) It can uplink large files
>     >     > 4) Great for corporate solutions. E.g. Act as a vpn
and
link
>     networks
>     >     together.
>     >     > 5) Can be used for internet via satellite or private
vpn
>     solutions.
>     >     > 6) Always on connection
>     >     > 7) As it's reliable the speeds are as well!
>     >     > 8) Can be used as part of a mobile solution if
required.
>     >     > 9) It doesn't use a login client so you can use it
with
>     operating systems
>     >     like Apple Mac, Linux, Windows, BeOS, Solaris (you get
the
>     picture).
>     >     > 10) There are different speeds / bandwidth packages
you
can
>     choose  to use
>     >     depending on your requirements or users.
>     >     > .....+ many more benefits.
>     >     >
>     >     > - Emmett Group
>     >     > www.emmettgroup.net <internet via satellite /
multicast /
>     streaming>
>     >     > Satellite Product Reseller. Satellite Channel
Reseller.
>     Satellite I.P.
>     >     Consultants
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     > [Non-text portions of this message have been
removed]
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     > http://www.internet-satellite.co.uk
>     >     > Browse over to the new group website , and Post
something
>     interesting.
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     > To unsubscribe: satellite-internet-unsubscribe@y...
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
>     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>     >     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     ____________________________________
>     >     Automated Home UK
>     >     http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
>     >     ____________________________________
>     >
>     >     Post message: ukha_d@y...
>     >     Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@y...
>     >
>     >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
of
>     Service.
>     >
>     >
>     >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >   ____________________________________
>     >   Automated Home UK
>     >   http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
>     >
>     >   Post message: ukha_d@y...
>     >   Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@y...
>     >
>     >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>     Service.

Service.