RE: Whole House Audio 64 ohm speakers

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Whole House Audio 64 ohm speakers
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 20:07:03 +0100

Hi Mick,

Thats exactly what I meant.

Yes the impedance will change but the lowest it will ever get to is 8 ohms.

speakers	impedance

1		64
2		32
3		21.3
4		16
5		12.8
6		10.7
7		9.1
8		8

the problem with 8 ohm speakers is that 2 will bring you down to 4 ohms,
the
minimum for most amps. To connect 4 you would need to put 2 in series with
each other, then the other two in series giving two 16 ohm chains, then put
them in parallel to bring it back down to 8 ohms

------------------------------

AMP               SPK        SPK

SPK        SPK

Solid state amplifiers are perfectly happy with a higher impedance or even
open circuit. Valve amplifiers MUST NEVER be run open circuit as very high
voltages appear on the speaker terminals and flashover occurs inside the
valves. No amplifier should ever be run with a load of a lower impedance
than the rated minimum as it risks destroying the amp.

Keith

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/