RE: OT: After a favour

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: After a favour
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:55:31 +0100

Sounds like an ideal candidate for a SkyPlus box (if they ever get around
launching the thing)

In case anyone has missed the info, this is similar to a Tivo, but with a
number of advantages

1. It has two Sky digital tuners in it so that you can record one program
while watching another.

2. It has two hard disks - one 40Gb for timed recordings (40 hours of high
bandwidth programming - and a smaller one for the pause live TV facility.

3. It records the raw digital data stream rather than decoding, and then
encoding as the Tivo does. Obviously that has an advantage, but there is
also a hidden disadvantage - Your subscription must entitle you to view the
recorded program at the time of playback not at the time of recording.

4. They will launch a new Box Office service so you can download films for
watching at a later date. After use they will automatically erase
themselves. At the moment it is unsure as to whether this will be after a
set time period or number of viewings.

5. It will be supplied with a quad LNB - two outputs for the SkyPlus box -
and a further two for use with Sky's internet service, or a second box at a
reduced subscription.

Prices aren't 100% clear at the moment, but rumours have it set at a level
comparable to the Tivo, with the possibility of a rebate to those who paid
full whack for their current Digibox.

Tim.