RE: Help needed with NAT on Winroute Pro

Keith,

sorry about the late response, I've been distracted a little recently,....

First up (and it's probably been said already) your other machines on your
lan have probably got a default gateway of your winroute machine. so when
they try to connect to and external website your winroute machine will dial
out.

You can look at your routing info on your winroute PC using the command
line ROUTE PRINT which will show the NT/Win9x routing tables.

On a client of the winroute system the first line would probably be
something like

Network Address          Netmask  Gateway Address        Interface  	Metric
0.0.0.0          	0.0.0.0      192.168.0.1      	192.168.0.4       1

this basically means that any packet is routed to 192.168.0.1 - the metric
is like a priority 1 = high ....10 = low. what this means is that you can
effectively say something like

use this route first (metric 1) and if you don't get what you want try this
route (metric 2).

On your winroute machine make sure that the ROUTE PRINT line for 0.0.0.0
does NOT have something like this:

Network Address          Netmask  Gateway Address        Interface  	Metric
0.0.0.0          	0.0.0.0      212.145.4.49      	212.145.4.49       1

What that means is that any time this machine tries to connect to ANY
machine (even those on your lan) it would want to dial! What you need is
something along the lines of:

Network Address          Netmask  	Gateway Address        Interface
	Metric
192.168.0.0      255.255.255.0     192.168.0.1      		192.168.0.1	1
0.0.0.0          	0.0.0.0      	212.145.4.49      	212.145.4.49     3

which would effectively say first up if it's a 192.168 address use my
internal (192.168.0.1) interface. If it's not then dial

Does this make sense??

A.

On 21/04/01 at 11:34 Keith Doxey wrote:

>Thanks Ian,
>
>I guessed it was because I was using it as a "proper" machine
as well.
>Might
>migrate the Winroute to a different dedicated PC.
>
>I cant set this machine to dial up because I have an extensive "in
house
>Intranet" and I dont want it dialling at other times. Also I found
that if
>used a DUN to dial up rather than getting Winroute to dial, I got zero
>connectivity.
>
>This is further complicated by having multiple dialups to
>
>BTI Surftime (my main connection)
>Freeserve Surftime (backup)
>Freenetname (to update my website - required for the free hosting)
>BTI Daytime (if I need to connect during weekdays)
>
>It doesnt cause me too much hassle, I was just hoping that there was a
box
>could tick to make it work :-)
>
>Will carry on as it is.
>
>Keith

configured to
>Dial
>> On Demand to BTI Surftime at the times that Surftime is available
and
>> disconnect after 10 mins of inactivity.
>
>Great, isn't it :)
>
>> This works fine from any other PC on the LAN including the iPaq.
However,
>if
>> I am using my main machine (the one with the ISDN card and
Winroute Pro)
>it
>> doesnt dial on demand.
>
>This is because the machine you are cannot have a default gateway set
of
>itself, and therefore traffic cannot "route" into it.
>
>The best way around it is to configure the main machine's internet
settings
>to "use a dial-up connection" and "connect
automatically", and set it to
>the
>same DUN connection that is used for the Surftime Connection.
>
>WRP is smart enough to spot the connection lifting, and flag the
interface
>as "up" within seconds.
>
>> Whenever any machine causes it to connect the dial log shows....
>> UDP packet 192.168.0.1:53 -> 192.16.20211:53 initiated dialing
>> ...which I understand is the DNS lookup being passed to the
nameserver
>> (ns.EU.net).
>>
>> What really confuses me is why MY machine doesnt fire up the
dialer, (is
>it
>> because I am using the Winroute PC as a normal machine as well?)
and why
>> does my machine sometimes connect with the same message even when
no-one
>is
>> using any of the PC's in the house. When it does this it stays
online for
>> 10mins then drops the connection (although one time it was on for
34
>mins).
>
>You can define a rule for the outgoing side of the interface which is
set
>"allow" all traffic, but "log to file, log to
window" should give a bit