RE: Slightly OT: home cinema

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Slightly OT: home cinema
  • From: Ian Lowe <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 01:40:19 -0700 (PDT)

--- Kenneth Watt <kennethwatt@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> LEP, to my knowledge, is about 2-3 years away from any real
> commercial ventures. The last I heard, about 6 months ago, they had
> it working in shades of green and grey but colour was a fair bit off
> and commercial applications obviously further away.

The latest position is that LEP is working fine in full colour, and a
new process has been developed in Japan (by a printing company that
usually makes IR filters, or the non-active bits of LCD equipment
displays) to use polymer film as an oxygen barrier rather than glass,
reducing costs for manufacture, improving resilience etc etc etc.

As far as I am aware, Seiko-Epson are producing mobile phone size
colour LEP screens in sample quantities.

> terms of price and timescale. In that period of time plasma will not
> be able to increase yields to allow any real competition and will
many
> customers wait?

To be fair, you can't say that. Given the state of the plasma
manufacture industry, yields will probably leap and jump as engineers
have a "bright idea" rather than gently increase as the process
refines.

> Sharp are going for massive worldwide sales,not targeting the likes
> of you and me, we are far too critical to use LCD sets as they are at

> the moment, but the public at large are not.

And I say: bring it on! I am >gagging< for a world of omnipresent
display technology. I think the rise of the LCD market will produce
more and more demand for flatter/lighter/brighter display technology.

My dream?

How about Active Paint, with LEP polymer chunks and conductive fibres
embedded in it, which you roller onto a wall, then control strips,
which you fasten around the edges, like duck tape, and just plug your
control box into. It then learns the size and characteristics of the
matrix, and pow! a thirty foot screen!

or even LEP display wallpaper, with the control lines, power and
swicthing all built in at thirty quid a roll......

Dont you just wish that technology would move a bit faster? :)

Ian.

=====
>+++
Ian R Lowe. Director, Wintermute Consultancy Ltd.
e-mail: ian@xxxxxxx
Onward and Upward! Towards Ascension!