Re: CAT-5 wiring details

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: CAT-5 wiring details
  • From: chris@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:48:00 -0000

> http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/wiring/index.html
Thanks. This has been one of my main sources in deciding what
sort of stuff I want to prewire for. Your site has cost me an
awful lot of money over the last 12 months!

> CAT5 should be fine for all these except Comfort doorstation
This would be OK as I can't see ever wanting to move the doors. ;-)

> I think this is major overkill Chris.  But, If money is no object
though I
> don't know if there are any disadvantages in doing this?
Just really thinking in terms of the future. Cable is going to be a
very small part of the automation spend. Not too sure as to different
termination requirements for CAT-6.

> I have only punched my data sockets into the patch panel so far.
Thanks for confirmation. My original spec required a 24 port panel
for each room. Increditbly flexible but very expensive.

> Make sure and try ACE.  I have found it to be the "missing
link"
I will have a look at that. It was actually you opinion I was
seeking when I mentioned HV and Comfort.

> Dunno about this one although I'm sure there are stainless steel
> ones available for schools and the like somewhere.
Yes I am sure I have seen them in labs somewhere but I couldn't find
then at any online supplier, including RS and Farnell. All the US
ones tend to be the tasteful plastic Decora style.

Thanks for the info.
Chris

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9335/9/_/2065/_/970073284/