Interesting .....

  • Subject: Interesting .....
  • From: "Robert Crawshaw" <robert@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:46:29 +0100

32000 children die each night from hunger and preventable diseases.
You can help save one. Become a sponsor today.
Click Here.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9250/9/_/2065/_/969303715/

Lo chaps (and chapasses if we have any :)

I recently bought a couple of items from the US to 'play' with

A fire cracker interface thing (very small) a lamp module a transmitter and
a palmpad.
I also took delivery recently of 3 slim fire remotes and 2 hawkeye motion
sensors.

I scoured my workshop looking for a 110V transformer so i could play with
my
new toys.
The first thing i came accross was a  site transformer (big yellow box
thing)   Anyway i wired everything up and played for a while (the house
code
for the 110v stuff was set to B, The rest of my house setup uses A, i aint
got that much stuff yet)
Just for a laugh i switched the 110 stuff to code A and pressed a few
buttons...it worked !!  the US stuff which i believe is on a different
frequency to us was controlling my 240v stuff ...

I came to the conclusion that because the site transformer has a center
tapping to earth (so max shock voltage is only 55v to earth) the signals
were somehow crossing onto the 240v mains via the earth cable    ...weird

I tried it later with a bog standard 110v transformer and it didnt work.

SO....buys tons of cheap x-10 stuff from the states and get yourself a site
transformer and use there
transmitters

disclaimer....the USA transmitters are not licenced for use in the UK
bummer

Robert Crawshaw                 http://www.golcar.demon.co.uk
Member of HAUG (Huddersfield Amiga User Group)

The release of Windows 2000 has been put back to the first quarter of 1901

Earn us both some cash by clicking this address.
http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=gki217