Catastophic Systems Failure :-(

  • To: "UKHA Discussion (E-mail)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Catastophic Systems Failure :-(
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:39:31 +0100

0% Introductory APR!
Instant Approval!
Aria Visa - get yours today.
http://click.egroups.com/1/7102/9/_/2065/_/968868958/

Hi All,

This morning my home suffered a catastrophic systems failure.

No Home Automation
No Communications
No AV distribution

In fact the only thing working was the Alarm Panel.

I have concluded that the electricity supply.....or LACK OF.....is a single
point of failure for my household. I couldnt even have a coffee because
being a non smoker I didnt have any matches to light the gas cooker.

After stuggling yesterday to get fuel for the cars only to find that the
supermarket had been attacked by vultures who took all bread and potatoes,
being woken by my daughter instead of the alarm colck was a bit
disorientating this morning.

My wife asked.....Are you Late or is she early....looked at the alarm clock
to find the numbers had been stolen from the display. A standby generator
wouldnt have helped either with the current fuel problems !!!

After a couple of coffees at work my brain is now getting back in gear.

One very worrying thing was the loss of telephones. The PBX went to mains
fail as it should but the one phone that should have remained working did
not work properly. I have Home Highway and although I could get dialtone
and
dial out the line kept going into hold at the exchange and then coming off
hold. I assume that my line is not allowing sufficient for the HH box to
operate properly, or it could be the phone that wasnt handling the line
very
well. I will do some experiments with different phones when I have time and
also ask a few questions at work.

Keith