Re: MisterHouse

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: MisterHouse
  • From: Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 11:10:51 +0100

I use Misterhouse here at home. It's basically a framework for you to build
your HA system around. Bruce (and others) has provided the interfaces to
many HA devices, including CM11's, 1-wire nets to name just a couple.

It's a very powerful system, especially for those confident enough to have
a go at perl themselves, but don't worry if you're not a programmer,
there's plenty of examples that come with the system, and plenty of people
on the mailing list willing to help you customize it.

It's a very US biased program (well it would be, it's written by an
American!), but because it's open source it's not difficult to customize,
I'm currently working on a UK version of it's caller ID function. It also
needs a couple of scripts to download the weather (which I think I have
somewhere, they just need integrating) and also TV (which I've started but
the website I was using has just been taken over by Annanova, so
everything's changed :-) )

It does run on windows, that was the platform I think it was originally
developed on.

I'm building my whole HA system around it, there's no reason why it can't
interface with Comfort or homevision, it has a generic
"serial_item" which
lets you send and receive stuff out of the serial port.

It also supports TTS and voice recognition (on both Win + Linux). I don't
do voice recognition, but I do have the TTS working with Festival, and it
sounds rather good. (You can get a British accent for festival, it sounds a
lot better than ViaVoice, and is a lot more customisable)

There are links to other reviews of MH from it's website.

At 10:59 10/09/00 +0100, you wrote:

>I just saw an announcement for a new version of some software called
>MisterHouse on Freshmeat.net.  Does anyone use this software and have
any
>comments?  Seems like it's very powerful and has lots of options from
the
>looks of the web control panel.
>Looks like it'll even run on windows for those not Linux savvy.  Seems
>be made from loads of perl scripts.

Stuart Grimshaw
Schoolsnet Ltd                         Special
t: 07976 625221                        Projects
e: sg@xxxxxxx                   Developer
f: 0870 7060260
www.schoolsnet.com
"It has been claimed that a very large number of monkeys, armed with a
very
large number of typewriters, would eventually reproduce the great works of
mankind. It would appear that the internet is well on its way to proving
that wrong." - Anonymous