New to X10

Tired of searching for an apartment?  Try Viva!  It's fast and free.
Now serving Dallas, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, Denver and Las Vegas.
Rent by September 30th - get $100 cash!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9154/9/_/2065/_/968402317/

Hi all,

I have been sitting on the sidelines for a while now reading about the
issues and solutions different people have been using for Home Automation.
This has been a great help to me.

I have just applied for planning permission for a house to be built on a
plot of ground I have here in Sevenoaks, Kent and I intend to make it as
future proof as possible. I also want to incorporate as many gadgets as
possible without making the place difficult to live in.

I will have a Games room / Cinema for me in the basement but the rest of
the house needs to be as near normal as possible. Having said that I do
want whole house audio, voice control (not sure how much yet) PC
connectivity in most (probably all) rooms and of course Home Automation.
The HA should be able to control the Heating and Ventilation, all lights,
some designated sockets and later things like pool pump and gate and garage
openers.

To this end I think the time has come to start trailing a few ideas. I have
had a 4 camera security system running for a year or so which has
highlighted a few things (go for colour if you can afford it, use a PC to
store stills and moving images not VCR, 4 cameras will not cover a detached
property, to name a few). This week I installed a LAN in the old house (Two
(soon to be three ?) PCs and a Hub) and I am trying to extend that with a
wireless system for my laptop as well although my IP knowledge is letting
me down at the moment.

Getting to the point, from what I have read the way to go regarding HA is
X10 (that may get a few responses...). I have agreed with the wife that I
can trial a system which will be used to switch off the house TVs at a
certain time depending on the day of the week. The reason for this is a
teenage son who would rather watch TV than go to bed in time to get up for
school. Strange reason I know but it gives me another opportunity for a
trial which could easily be extended to other functions in the house... I
would like to be able to configure the system via a PC and I don't think
plug in appliance modules would do as he could easily by-pass that. I was
wondering is it possible to get DIN style units that I could insert in the
TV mains lead ?

Now really to the point, please suggest a PC X-10 controller and suitable
appliance modules and possible suppliers.

Thanks in advance

Nigel

PS if someone can put forward wife friendly reasons for the purchase of
'Home Comfort' or 'Home Vision' I would be very willing to listen.

PPS I am the sort of guy who needs to play with something to understand it,
I can only read so much, so if anyone knows somewhere in Kent or London
where I could see a demo this would also be very helpful

<<application/ms-tnef>>