Re: Urgent - Time to kill, want to build IR Extender

OK I managed to get the components from Maplin to build Nigel's
transmitter,
I think I have everything connect up OK on the plug board, and I have added
a wire from pin 8 to the +12V rail. But before I connect any power I have a
few questions (all of you electronics experts can feel free to laugh at my
stupidity!).

First off, the 555 timer has an indentation on the top, does this indicate
pin 8, also are pin numbers ordered as per Nigel's diagram, if not what is
the sequence.

Second, the LED's, I know that the shortest leg is the cathode, does that
mean the other leg is the one to connect to the +12V.

Third, the transistors, how do I know which leg is which. I have assumed
the
diagram shows the plan view of the transistor, but there is a little tag by
one leg which I have assumed is number three on the diagram, is this
correct
?

Finally, is there any way I can test the transmitter without a receiver and
when I get a receiver (hopefully from Keith), where does that connect to
the
transmitter ?

I am sorry for these really basic questions, but this is my first ever
circuit and I would rather it didn't go bang as soon as I connect the
power.

Regards

Graham

eLerts