OS Wars - An Microsoft-using IT Director's view!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: OS Wars - An Microsoft-using IT Director's view!
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:58:16 +0100

I have a slightly different spin on Windows vs. Linux.

At work, we are Microsoft, through and through.

- Win 98 desktops
- Win2k servers
- IIS
- MTS
- SQL Server
- etc etc etc

99% of the time, Microsoft products _are_ easier to use. However, for that
final 1% of the time, when you actually need a _deep_ understanding of
what's going on, they do _not_ provide a good way to understand things like
IP routing, TCP/UDP ports, or socket-based IPC.

Realistically, this means hiring people with some sort of Unix experience.

10 years ago, this meant commercial experience with Solaris, AIX, HP-UX or
whatever. Now the new generation of IT supertechs have picked this up
through playing with Linux. This has been made possible by two things:
Firstly, the licencing model of Linux which makes it viable for them to get
a copy and play. Secondly, the growth of the web and the existence of
consumer-priced Internet connections.

This doesn't mean I use Linux for mission critical systems at work. It
means that I view Linux as a vital training tool!

Regards,

Mark

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"
http://click.egroups.com/1/9532/9/_/2065/_/971780118/