Re: BT to offer free local calls

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:04:07 +0100, Mark McCall wrote:

>BT is to offer off peak unmetered local calls from December bringing
the UK
>more in line with the US system of telecoms charging.

Something for nothing...from BT? !!

>The monster telco has all but cleared the final regulatory hurdles with
>Oftel to offer the service for a fixed monthly fee.

Ah no, my mistake - *there's* the charge.

>[...] Although the cost of the service has yet to be confirmed,
>insiders at BT believe it could cost consumers around 20 a month, which
>would include the cost of line rental.

Current rental = 9.25.  So 10.74 of off-peak undiscounted local calls
would be 720 minutes.  = 23 mins each and every day.  If you assume
60/40 split evening vs. weekend and F&F/Best Friend discounts you get
around 975 minutes.  No way would I use that much.

Am I missing something?

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"
http://click.egroups.com/1/9532/9/_/2065/_/971285293/