BT to offer free local calls

  • To: "Ukha_D@xxxxxxx Com" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: BT to offer free local calls
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:04:07 +0100

BT to offer free local calls
By: Tim Richardson

BT is to offer off peak unmetered local calls from December bringing the UK
more in line with the US system of telecoms charging.

The monster telco has all but cleared the final regulatory hurdles with
Oftel to offer the service for a fixed monthly fee.

The new tariff applies to both voice and data calls but it's understood
that
charges will kick-in if calls last more than an hour.

However, the service does not cover local-rate calls made to non-geographic
numbers such as 0845/0870, used widely by Internet Service Providers
(ISPs).

The new product, referred to internally as Project Trade, will be branded
BT
Together Local. Although the cost of the service has yet to be confirmed,
insiders at BT believe it could cost consumers around £20 a month, which
would include the cost of line rental. Business users are expected to have
similar product made available later next year.

BT Together - launched less than a year ago - costs £11.99 a month and
includes line rental plus up to 200 minutes of free, off peak local calls -
worth around 80p.

According to a document seen by The Register from BT's Regulatory Affairs
Department: "Detailed analysis [of Project Trade] has been supplied to
Oftel
which shows that a Wholesale Product is not required. Oftel have now
accepted this and a final details of the proposal is currently under
discussion with them."

Oftel's decision not to offer a similar wholesale product to allow other
telcos to compete could be challenged by rival telcos struggling to break
BT's stranglehold of the UK's telecoms market.

For BT, such a move would guarantee a monthly revenue stream in an ever
competitive marketplace.

A spokesman for BT refused to comment specifically on the new product or
the
leaked documents.

Instead, he said: "BT keeps its price package under constant review in
what
is a very fast-moving and competitive market.

"We are continually talking to our customers and look at ways to get
them
even better value for money.

"We look art all sorts of options and it is not our policy to rule
anything
in, or anything out," he said.

No one from Oftel was available for comment by press time.

The UKs Premier Home Automation Site
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/9/_/2065/_/971280775/