RE: Re: Keith, You'll know this....

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Re: Keith, You'll know this....
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:48:49 +0100

At 11:28 10/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hopefully once Comfort gets CLID it will be capable of that... I'm
waiti=
ng
> >with eager anticipation!
>
>Do you know if this is on the cards, or is it just hopeful optimism on
you=
>part?

I don't know for sure, I'm just hopeful as Chiu asked on the mailing
list=20
some time ago if (IIRC) folk would be prepared to lose pulse dialling
and=20
gain additional features such as CLID.  There was a generally positive=20
response, I think the only objections were from Russia, where DTMF is
not=20
widely used.  I haven't heard anything about it since.

>I meant to do this a couple of months ago, but SWMBO wanted to
"discuss it=
",

It's a tough call- whether it's more satisfying to bait them for a while=20
for your own entertainment so they can't be conning someone more
gullible=20
or if it's just a waste of time letting them call- I went for the
latter,=20
after several enjoyable years of the former... "really, that sounds=20
fascinating, tell me more... oooh, a free consultation, how kind"

>:-( so I never got round to it. Now I can't remember the URL for the
>registration site! - Please remind me. Thanks. :-)

From the DMA website http://www.dma.org.uk

Telephone Preference Service
5th Floor
Haymarket House
1 Oxendon Street
London
SW1Y 4EE

To register, call 0845 070 0707.

IIRC, registration by phone is automated, then they send you a letter to=20
confirm it.

>So it works then?

Yes, the number of calls has dropped from at least two a month to about
two=
=20
per year.  I've printed out the relevant regulations and keep them by
the=20
phone, just to  ensure maximum squirming by the odd one who still calls...

>=A35000 fines thanks to TPS. - I also plan to implement
"antisocial hours"
>phone handling (say 11PM to 6AM), where no-one except specific
relatives c=
an
>get through, and a "Do not disturb" mode that I can enable
when watching a
>movie that puts all callers straight to voicemail, again without
ringing t=
he
>house phones.

I've got the latter, when Comfort is on day or night mode, it's quite easy=
=20
to set or unset it as needed.  As you say, with CLID support, Comfort
could=
=20
do the former too, I hope they can find space for it on the processor!

>All of this would be a lot easier if I could make MY CLID visible
before t=
he
>1st ring, instead of after it as currently happens...

You could have a bodge of Comfort disconnecting the ring signal (pin 3)=20
until a short period after it detects an incoming call, so the first
ring=20
would be cut, but some phones might still ring (some derive their own ring=
=20
signal from pins 2 and 5 so don't need it fed separately)

Nigel

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"
http://click.egroups.com/1/9532/9/_/2065/_/971174938/