RE: Keith, You'll know this....

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Keith, You'll know this....
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 10:04:46 +0100

Hi Paul,

The first consideration for BABT approval is electrical safety. There have
been many cases in the past where unapproved or poorly modified equipment
has passed mains voltage out of the house onto the telephone line thereby
endangering the lives of BT engineers and the general public as the
insulation on telephone cables is not rated for 240V.

As long as it is FCC approved it will be built to a high standard and
should
be OK, although if you get banged up by the heavies from BABT I will send
you a cake with a file in it so you can cut your way out of jail :-))

I have to admit that I am not familiar with the device you refer to and
havent been able to find it during a quick search of the web.

Is it purely for DTMF/Voice control or does it also use Caller ID. If it is
purely DTMF/Voice then I dont forsee any problems so lond as you use a good
quality UK mains rated power supply. If however, it uses Caller Id then it
may or may not work. There are differences between UK and US Caller ID
specs
particularly with regard to when the caller ID is sent.

In the States I belive Caller ID is sent BETWEEN the first and second ring.
The UK spec was adapted to send Caller ID BEFORE the first ring so that it
could be used for remote reading of the electricity meter etc where the
device would answer the call bfore the phone rang so as not to disturb
householders in the dead of night.

As I said, I dont think you will have a problem but before you buy see if
they will take it back if it doesnt work. You will not do any damage to
either phone line or device. All phone systems around the world use around
50v DC with some of the newer digital exchanges using up to 60V. Some PBX's
(Mitel) are 24-28V.

Hope that helps

Keith

Helmke's