Re: Newbie Questions

Mick

I've answered some of your questions below.

> What kind of cables and how many  should I run between the
> AV/Homevision and the PC room for video, audio and homevision (it is a
> 1930s brick built house so cabling is a nightmare)?

I have 8 CAT5 plus 5 CT100 coax between Node Zero and my AV system.  You'll
be able to run audio using Keiths almost-reality-ware KAT5 units.

> What are the limitations on using homevision to control the AV
> equipment if they are all installed in a cabinet with all the units
> pointing in the same direction? I seem to recall reading that Mark M
> had a problem controlling his TV in this configuration.

I did indeed.  "Blaster" type IR (ie the HomeVision front mounted
IR
transmitter) is unreliable.  I added a mini-emitter out the back of HV and
stuck it onto the TV and the problem was solved.

> Which is best Ace caller ID or Homevison caller id and what hardware
> is available to support this in the UK?

I was using the Solwise unit with HV in my old house
http://www.solwise.co.uk/cid.htm#METEOR
but I haven't got it working in the
new one yet and I've run out of serial ports on my HA PC.

www.concept-devices.com (UK company) also make a caller ID box which MAY
work with HV.

www.comfort.org.uk every time!

> Is voice control feasible and if so what is the best solution?

No.  I have spoken to many people about this over the last year or two and
all, without exception, that have tried it have ended up taking it out.
The
technology is too immature to do this in any reliable form yet (in my
opinion).

M.

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Click here and you can even personalize these quotes.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9536/9/_/2065/_/970756234/