Re: ADSL - nearly here!!

> It might be worth searching newsgroups on this one, as it has been the
> source of lively debate. My impression was that BT's Openworld home
version
> of ADSL was sufficiently brain damaged to make it hard, if not
impossible
> support more than one PC off it, and definitely impossible to do run
any
> server or do any kind of hosting.

Can they really stop you using internet sharing?  I would have thought that
if a PC has a connection to the Internet then surely Proxy, WinRoute or
Windows own internet sharing could be implemented (but hey...what do I
know!).

Do they stop Web Servers by disabling port 80?  If so could people just use
another port or is ADSL smarted than this?

> Other providers (i.e. not Openworld) are claiming they will be
offering
> fixed IP addresses, with the ability to perform hosting, at costs
between
> BT's 'cheap' consumer offering and their ethernet business version.
Hence
> wouldn't consider using Openworld.

Are there other providers on BT copper yet or are you talking about cable
companies?

> However, fear and uncertainty about timescales, real bandwith and
features
> resulted in me deciding that HomeHighway with Freeserve Unlimited was
> better way to go, for now.

That's what I have right now, and up until this weekend it was excellent
(it
crashed and burned over the weekend for some reason).

> Treat this as a recommendation to dig further, rather than a cast in
stone
> warning, since I may well have been wrong in the first place, and
haven't
> done any checking in the past couple of months so the position may
have
> changed.

I have lined up both home and work's Highways to be converted to ADSL so I
am really interested in this topic.  Thanks for all the info.

M.

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9530/9/_/2065/_/970483996/