RE: ADSL - nearly here!!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: ADSL - nearly here!!
  • From: REB.Barnett@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:09:31 +0100

It might be worth searching newsgroups on this one, as it has been the
source of lively debate. My impression was that BT's Openworld home version
of ADSL was sufficiently brain damaged to make it hard, if not impossible
support more than one PC off it, and definitely impossible to do run any
server or do any kind of hosting.

Other providers (i.e. not Openworld) are claiming they will be offering
fixed IP addresses, with the ability to perform hosting, at costs between
BT's 'cheap' consumer offering and their ethernet business version. Hence I
wouldn't consider using Openworld.

However, fear and uncertainty about timescales, real bandwith and features
resulted in me deciding that HomeHighway with Freeserve Unlimited was a
better way to go, for now.

Treat this as a recommendation to dig further, rather than a cast in stone
warning, since I may well have been wrong in the first place, and haven't
done any checking in the past couple of months so the position may have
changed.

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9535/9/_/2065/_/970477505/