Re: Cable Identification

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cable Identification
  • From: Nigel Orr <Nigel.Orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 09:20:59 +0100

At 09:01 02/06/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Anyone got any useful recommendations for cable identification tags or
>whatever.

I'm currently using insulating tape, which I know from past experience
works well, and is useful as long as the same scheme is used at both ends
and the details are written down somewhere.  Paper labels, even with
heatshrink on, are liable to age badly (if they get damp, they can get
mildew or the ink can leach away), and tags can cause problems when the
cables are being pulled.

One possible alternative (I've not tried it, just got it recently) is
'Quick-Laser'- it's a laser-printable polyester label.  I got the bumph
about it from Mega Electronics (naff name!), http://www.megauk.com , with
an offer for a free sample sheet.  One of the A4 sheets comes cut into
small label sizes, and it might be a bit heavier duty than paper.

>I've considered getting the smallest Avery labels and printing from my
PC,
>and then selotaping on.

Don't sellotape- it yellows, goes brittle, and sometimes just falls off
after a fairly short time.  Coloured heatshrink might be a neater
alternative to tape, but I've seen some coloured heatshrinks lose their
colour after a while...

Probably the best approach is to connect the cable up to something, and
label the connection- IMHO all the other IDs are best used for pulling
bunches of cable and deciding which is which to wire them up.

Nigel

@Backup- Protect and Access your data any time, any where on the net.
Try @Backup FREE and recieve 300 points from mypoints.com Install now:
http://click.egroups.com/1/4873/7/_/2065/_/959934117/