RE: RE:Why I hate .mp3 (was Freeserve Time)

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: RE:Why I hate .mp3 (was Freeserve Time)
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 22:00:53 +0100

Hi Mark,

I dont doubt your findings one bit. The point I was making was that * I
PERSONALLY * dont notice any difference, but as I stated in my post, for
much of my music collection the quality wasnt technically available at the
time the recording was made.

Many of the tracks I like have been *improved* in the CD transfer process
but it is still possible to hear the original master tape hiss for a split
second before the track starts.

As you stated in your message, you used a classical recording as the source
track. Classical music has a much wider dynamic range than pop/rock/dance
etc and presumably the recording was in the digital domain from the moment
it hit the mixing desk. You also used audiophile grade equipment for
amplification and speakers. The reason the difference was so noticable was
that your gear is too good for listening to MP3.

My speakers are Mordant Short MS3.10's about 12 years old and the amp was a
Memorex AV amp about 9 years old since relegated to the bedroom. This has
just been replaced by a Kenwood KRF-V7030D DTS AV Receiver (?300). Its not
audiophile gear but is also not a 200 quid stack system with CD and tape to
tape.

There have been, and will continue to be, many emotive discussions about
sound quality. It is a subject for which we each have our own personal
preferences, and what sounds great to one person may be absolutely
repulsive to another.

If someone gave me ?30,000 to spend on toys I would probably spend 10k on a
newer car and the remaining ?19k on a BARCO Graphics grade projector and
the remaining 1k on some better speakers and a few DVD's. I know others who
would spend the whole 30k on a car. Its all down to what the individual
feels is the most important thing to have.

At the end of the day, anything I buy has to be fit for the purpose that I
want it for. I listen to music whilst working or driving. During both those
activities there is enough other noise going on that any imperfections that
might be noticeable are effectively masked anyway.

As I said before, this discussion will run and run, again and again.

The best advise I ever saw was .....

"Stop spending money when YOU dont notice any improvement"

......works for me :-))

Keith