Re: Is it about to rain on our MP3 Parade?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Is it about to rain on our MP3 Parade?
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:07:19 +0000

At 16:07 25/01/00 -0000, you wrote:
>Macrovision (that lovely company),

They of the ever-so-successful [not!] video copy protection scheme... if it
ever does happen, I wouldn't have thought it will cause problems for more
than a month or two...

>to be read in a PC CDROM drive. Apparently this is achieved by
monkeying
>around with the error correction code.

Hmmm... can't figure out offhand how they will be able to arrange that...

>is able to force the machine to mute its SP/DIF interface to completely

I suspect they might alienate rather a lot of high end hi-fi users with
that move...

As the full code for DVD has now apparently been compromised, and that is
designed in from the start, I wouldn't expect this will be an obstacle to
many people for very long.  I do entirely support the motive of trying to
stop people copying and distributing CDs, but MP3 ripping for one's own
use, though technically illegal, seems a bit of a nasty one to come down
on...

I await with interest the expected flop of the system...

Nigel

For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from

anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to win a

digital camera.
http://click.egroups.com/1/337/3/_/2065/_/948877665/

-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1