Which jukebox?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Which jukebox?
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:18:00 GMT

Can anyone recommend an MP3 jukebox utility which can act like a
"traditional" jukebox?

Currently I just use Winamp on a PC connected to my main TV and an IR
keyboard. This is fine, but I still have to go through a laborious process
just to play an album: turn on the TV to the appropriate channel, get the
IR
keyboard, navigate the Windows desktop to get Winamp running/maximised/made
the active window/  as appropriate, Navigate the Winamp interface to hit
"add Directory", navigate the "File...Open" dialogue to
browse to the
appropriate directory, and so on...(the same applies to playlists)

When I'm in the pub, all I have to do is press: 3-7-1 for example to play
"Bat Out Of Hell" or whatever, and I want to replicate that
functionality -
IE, pick up a URC (Pronto or whatever), then press 3-7-1-Play to play the
album.

This is simple enough with a bit of jukebox software which will produce a
database of all my MP3 albums (by scanning my directory structure:
Artist\Album), and assign a number to each album, then let me play any
album
by entering the number. Then I don't need to use a display device of any
kind - I could keep a paper list of the contents of the jukebox alongside
my
TV guide (OK, paper might be anathema to this list's members, but it does
still have a few things going for it!) - I'd have to re-index the dir
structure and produce a new database & listing periodically, but this
is
trivial...

Above all, this would be REALLY simple - so my wife would be happy with it!

Comments?

Regards.

Paul G.

For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from

anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to win a

digital camera.
http://click.egroups.com/1/337/3/_/2065/_/948460691/

-- Create a poll/survey for your group!