Re: Beginner at X10 - general questions

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Beginner at X10 - general questions
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:32:37 -0000

Chris

> My first query is regards the house codes.  I get the impression from
> the Homebase instructions that this is intended to prevent
> interference
> from other houses on the same phase as us.  I guess from what I have
> heard the majority of HA enthusiasts use all 256 combinations by using
> the house code for different rooms etc.  Is it recommended that a DIN
> filter unit is used if I use several house codes internally?

I wouldn't bother with a filter unless I was experiencing problems. It's
cheaper to ask your neighbours if they're using X-10 (bet they aren't!)
and,
if so, what house codes they're using.

> Can the DIN mounted modules (AD10, LM10??) be used in a free standing
> mode, i.e. no DIN rail?

Yes. The DIN rail provides a mounting point only. As long as the terminals
are safely shrouded, you don't need to use a DIN-rail enclosure. One of
mine
is safely shrouded by closing the airing cupboard door (if I can't see it,
how can it be dangerous?)! Seriously, it should be in some sort of
enclosure
to reduce the risk of electric shock and it's not easy to mount without a
rail.

> I have recently had problems with the TM12U not responding to the
> remote. I have had to power cycle the TM12U to persuade it to listen.
> Is this common, or is there a fault? (I suspect the problem
> occurs when
> I use the mini timer to do an All units off.  Is this likely?)

Lockups seem fairly common with X-10 kit. Your problem is one that I've
certainly heard of on several occasions. I get similar problems with an
LD10.

> Do you think the CM12 should be my next purchase or should I
> save up for something like a HomeVision?

As an experienced CM12 user, I'd say go for HomeVision. The CM12 may be
cheap, but let's face it, it's crap! Mine has to be power cycled every time
there's a power cut (sometimes several times) before it'll talk to the PC.
One of these days, when the Land Rover stops absorbing all my money, I'll
replace mine with HV.

> Sorry for the battery of question.

You not going to get anywhere running on batteries.

Cheers,
Steve

For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from

anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to win a

digital camera.
http://click.egroups.com/1/337/3/_/2065/_/948116003/

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1