RE: Interfacing LCD to serial ports

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Interfacing LCD to serial ports
  • From: James Hoye <jhoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:36:52 -0000

> I also found mention of running these over 2 wires with multiple units
> using something called I2C mode which I think was designed for on
> board interfacing so I don't know if it is suitable for longer

I2C is an acronym for Inter-IC (pronounced, I believe, 'I squared C') and
is
a standard for ICs to communicate with each other, so the distance I would
have thought would be very small.

> distances. Seems to me it should be possible to construct a HA control
> system to run on these and emulate the professional style HA
> installations at a fraction of the cost! It wouldn't be touchscreen
> but then they are damn expensive and  it needs a HA PC to be
> permanently on but then so would any decent system .

A man after my own heart.  When you see the prices of commercial multiroom
and MP3 systems you start talking a grand a room...  I would love to be
able
to design/prototype something that uses a PC, CAT5, MP3, serial LCD display
and a serial controlled amp (for volume/muting etc).  Making it multi room
gets trickier, but things like the LP3Music dongle (http://www.lp3music.com)
look as though they can assist.

James H

eGroups eLerts