Re: [OT]Proxy Software with multiple dialup numbers

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT]Proxy Software with multiple dialup numbers
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 09:32:44 +0000 (GMT)

> Agreed. Management utilities such as Tivoli allow push through
updating
> if a script is not run by a set number of hours or days. These can be
> programmed independently per machine where special needs exist.
[sorry,
> remember the size of companies I work for]

BT use Tivoli as part of their automatic software delivery to individual
PCs. I agree the process does work but it is not universally loved by
everyone. As Ian has pointed out, I wouldn't want to be at the receiving
end of the ensuing telephone calls when the automatic process has failed
and everyone in the company is demanding action to sort his or her PC out.

> companies go to this length of profiling, and even the ones that do
> usually have a number of people with a legitimate requirement to have
an
> unrestricted machine - network is now wide open to attack.

It is a compromise. However, I know that AV software, strategically placed
in the distribution route, can significantly minimise the side effect of
any particular virus. Take the recent "ILOVEYOU" virus, in one
company
alone, many ten of thousands of infected e-mails were intercepted by
server SV software before their distribution. Even disregarding the
primary effect of the virus, the sudden influx and replication of many
thousands of infected e-mails would significantly degrade or overload the
e-mail system.

> LAN/WAN/MAN scenario across EMEA and the US even a 'joke' virus that
> does nothing more than self replicate can cost seven figures to remove
-
> not a particularly funny joke.

I agree entirely.

> to. The real sting comes when they get the invoice [a reason I
probably
> shouldn't complain ;-)].

:-)

Sometimes I can't help but think that SV software companies actually
"commission" the development of some viruses. As we know, virus
development is not particularly complex or difficult. Virus
"toolkits" are
widely available on the Internet. A few hundred Pound's worth of spending
could bring in millions for AV companies and, since they would know the
virus coding, they could claim to be the first to offer protection or
immunity from the microbe.

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx