Whole House Audio: Streaming

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whole House Audio: Streaming
  • From: "Don McAllister" <donmc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 01:02:16 -0000

Someone mentioned a few days ago about using Streaming technology to
provide
whole house audio using PCs and 100mb ethernet across CAT5. I've been using
several PCs to give zoned audio ie accessing a central MP3 jukebox, but the
reference to setting up a streaming server tweaked my curiosity.

I downloaded the necessary components from Shoutcast and got a simple
server
application from analogX and within 20 minutes Bingo. The only problem is
although you can configure winamp on the individual PCs to access the
streamed audio from the server, there is a significant (and different!)
delay on each PC causing the whole house audio scenario to be unworkable.

Just wondered if anyone else had played about with this and what their
results were ??

Cheers
Don

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/3/_/2065/_/974595739/