RE: Schematic and PCB package

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Schematic and PCB package
  • From: "Ian" <I.Bird@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 23:25:42 -0000

Hi Ian (de ja vous)

Ah ha, this is when you get to where I am now. I have an etch tank as they
are quite cheap and then all you need to do is get your design onto copper
and bath it.

A quick step back though. Registration of each of the proteus packages is
20
pounds. Apart from the nag screens there is also a 100 pin limit on the
design. I hit this with two transmitters and one receiver although drop the
receiver and all was well again (being stingy on the printing).

Ok, onward again. Since I had all the cheap stuff and wanted to try it out
bought the blue plasticcy stuff which you laser print on and then iron the
print onto normal copper board. This was not entirely successful as the
print did not always take evenly and I melted at least one lot when the
iron
was too hot. Follow the PCB etching thread for more. Essentially though it
seems that printing onto transparency and then using a UV box to get this
onto the pre-sensitised copper is the way to go. In the short term though I
have two circuits that are ready for etching and plan to do this tomorrow.
Next week I am going to beg, borrow or steal a UV box and try that out
sometime soon. A laser is needed for best results.

More here or on PCB etching as it happens. I haven't tested the circuit
boards I have yet (not etched is a drawback) but hopefully I'll get this
done on Sunday (after wifey and little one have gone to bed!).

Mail me direct or via the list for more fun details like how to get melted
plastic off the iron and explain how it got there to you know who.

Ian