RE: Re: ISDN vs ADSL

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: ISDN vs ADSL
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:18:25 -0000

From: Paul Gordon [mailto:paul_gordon@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 17 November 2000 14:01
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Re: ISDN vs ADSL

>I thought this too when we established a little while back that we
COULD
get
>FTP through... but I wouldn't know where to start doing it though!
There's
>DEFINATELY some scope in this idea.... (and anything that gets round
BT's
>petty, miserly restrictions is good in my book!)
>Paul G.

Good. If FTP can get through then I'm sure I can put something together.

I'd rather use something other than FTP, but it'd do if nothing else is
available (though I reckon we'll find something).

But let's assume FTP for now...

An IE Pluggable Protocol Handler is a COM component that is registered with
IE to handle non-standard protocols. So, let's say we defined a new
protocol
call FTTP:

Instead of using a URL: http://myserver/mypage.htm, we use
fttp://myserver/mypage.htm

IE doesn't recognise the protocol FTTP, so it passes the request to our
pluggable protocol handler. This establishes an FTP connection to our
_custom_ FTP server that runs at our end of the ADSL connection. It sends a
request to retrieve file mypage.htm (a regular FTP GET)

Now, our custom FTP server looks to all the world (and BT) like a regular
FTP server. However, when it receives a request to download a file it
refers
it fetches the file referred to from our web server and sends it back down
the wire to our waiting FTTP protocol handler. This then passes the data
back to IE which is none the wiser as to where it came from.

Posting forms back to the web server could be encapsulated using an FTP PUT
equivalent.

I might start looking into this now, as I can test the code without an ADSL
connection.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Steve

eLerts