Re: Re: ISDN vs ADSL

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re: ISDN vs ADSL
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:49:38 GMT

>I have almost certainly decided to go for HH.  I may upgrade to ADSL
>when it becomes more established.  Worcester is apparently not listed
>in the by March list.

Academic debate really then, if you can't actually get it!

>I like the idea of using a router, the 3Com unit sounds very nice, it
>provides a 4 port hub and the ability to dynamically switch between
>two data lines and one data and one analogue.  I guess this only
>works for outgoing calls however.  Apparently it also switches
>between one data line and two as the bandwidth increases.
>
>I am hoping that both data calls will be free evenings and weekends?
>Lass at BT said so, but I take everything they say with a pinch of
>salt!

The 0800 service I use from BT internet, allows ISDN access to the 0800
number at 64K ONLY, - they do not allow 128K connections. However, that
said, you could potentially get round that by making 2 seperate 64K
connections with multipoint PPP to aggregate them at your end - but that
would involve 2 logons to BT's service, which they might pick up on and
moan
about?

>Anyone else familiar with the 3Com router?  Can it be set to not dial
>out during peak hours?

No, don't know.

>When they install the HH box do they insist on installing the cable
>from the box to the PC?  I am hoping to get the HH setup next month,
>but my wife won't let me open the PC until Christmas day!

No problem, - they are only concerned with your house phone wiring. they
will not care about what you do with the digital ports.

Regards.

Paul G.