RE: Re: ISDN vs ADSL

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: ISDN vs ADSL
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:39:24 -0000

Hmm, perhaps I can sense a software solution coming for this problem.

I've been doing some work with pluggable protocols for Internet Explorer
over the last couple of weeks and wonder if there's some scope there. If we
can get _some_ kind of messages flowing backwards and forwards across the
connection, there's scope to encapsulate the HTTP protocol within another
customer protocol (kind of like a higher level RFC1006 which is OSI over
TCP/IP). That way, a pluggable protocol handler in IE could access a
gateway
that fronted the web server with the HTTP traffic being encapsulated and
hence, slip past BT's filtering.

It wouldn't enable you to publish a web server but would allow you to
access
your own kit!

Steve